California Olive Oil Rolls
Submitted by Martin
1. In a large bowl using a whisk, pour in the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast, sugar, rye, and .5 cup of the unbleached flour over the surface of water. Beat well until smooth and creamy. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until foamy, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Add .5 cup more of the flour, the oil, the margarine, and salt, and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the remaining flour, .5 cup at a time, until a soft dough that just clears the sides of the bowl is formed. Switch to a wooden spoon when necessary if mixing by hand.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and springy, about 4 minutes, dusting with flour only 1 tbs at a time as needed to prevent sticking.
4. Place dought in a greased deep container. Turn once to coat the top and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room termperature until puffy, 1 hour.
5. Gently deflate the dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Grease or parchment-line a baking sheet. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Shape each portion into an oval and place at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 20 minutes.
6. Twenty minutes before baking preheat the oven to 450 with a baking stone or 425 without a stone. Using kitchen shears, snip the top of each roll 4 times at a 45 degree angle down the center. Reduce the oven thermostat to 425 if using a baking stone. Place the baking sheet on a rack in the center of the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crusty and brown. Serve immediately, or transfer to cooling racks and reheat later.